The Awesome Omate TrueSmart 2.0: Review with Video
A Waterproof Android Phone On Your Wrist
If you are looking for Dick Tracy’s wrist watch, you’ve found it.
Where do we begin?
Aside from the on-board phone, the list of standard features astounds. Here’s just a short list:
- works in either standalone phone or companion mode
- a full-on 2G/3G smartphone
- Android 4.2.2 OS (4.2.3 upgrade is imminent)
- 1.54 inch high-resolution multi-touch TFT display
- on-screen keyboard, Flecksy (which works OK – kind of stressful to avoid mistakes)
- browse the web (but you’ll need glasses at times)
- Micro SIM slot for the onboard phone
- IP67 Water-Resistant (to 10 feet/30 mins)
- 1.3GHz dual core processor
- 5MP camera (side view, so no video calls)
- Bluetooth & Wi-Fi connectivity
- 512MB of onboard memory, expandable to 32GB using a MicroSD card
- and more
On top of this, it seems to be well-built – and waterproof.
But… there’s no tutorial, so you have to fiddle your way around to understand how to use everything. Be prepared to lose an afternoon.
The Neptune Pine comes closest to the Truesmart in terms of sheer features (it’s a wrist phone, too). We hope to cover the Pine when it gets released (any time now).
The TrueSmart offers a super-high resolution camera onboard. It faces to the side, though, so no video conferencing will be possible with this watch.
Display & User Interface
The CPU and graphics work really well. Games runs much faster than most other devices we’ve tested.
I won’t bore you with written description here. Just take a look at the Sonic 3D technology in action in this short video clip shot by Omate in Sept 2013 (it’s even better now).
The speaker is also impressive for such a small device.
Omate provides a unique on-screen keyboard called ‘Flecksy’ (why the name?).
The keyboard works OK. It’s suitable for texting (see video below) as long as you take care. We found it a bit stressful to avoid mistakes, but more than one of us has big hands ;-) . Here’s a quick video of what the interface looks like (courtesy Omate.com)
Getting Google Play access is very easy, there’s a code you type in that’s easily found on the official forums. It will let you download all Google Apps, including Google Maps/Navigation (which work nicely).
The Omate Truesmart is IP67 waterprood and dust proof. It can be submerged a meter under water for 30 mins, so it should be fine for showering, outdoor exercise and swimming.
Want to learn more?
The Best Smart Watches Compared
(our picks for the best watches shipping today)
[table id=smartwatchescomparedbest /]